- Looking out the window, wondering when the derecho would hit (and whether we would lose power), when the wind seemed to go from 0 to 100 MPH and the power went off immediately.
- Gathering in the basement to read and hang out by flashlight-light, feeling grateful for the forced momentary pause… and scared it might be a while until the power comes back on.
- The neighbors coming out of their homes, some with chainsaws, to survey the damage and chop up downed trees.
- The most effervescent blue little bug curled up, dead, on my window sill.
- Spending some of my precious battery life watching Steve-O Top 10 Worst Stunt Injuries video on Instagram.
- Mom hysterically laughing at TikToks. Dad hysterically laughing at Ben Shapiro’s WAP explanation.
- Eating most of our ice cream before it could melt.
- How the homes across the street never lost power — not making me jealous of them, but making it harder to cope with our wait for ComEd’s rescue.
- The darkness indoors making the night sky seem bright.
← Newer post • Older post →