- Driving with Casey in a caravan of protesters, from the Cook County Jail to Daley Plaza.
- Making eye contact with a maybe ten-year-old Black girl in another car, offering her water, smiling at each other.
- The archaism of batons. Feeling wide-eyed and shocked anew that police still carry (and use) them when they have seemingly no purpose other than to harm.
- The viral video of National Guard soldiers shooting paintballs at citizens on their own porch.
- The “Don’t Tread on Me” crowd, who fantasize about fighting against government imposition, celebrating that moment, telling citizens who don’t want to get hurt to merely obey.
- Honking the car horn till it got hoarse and then silent.
- Hearing horns as I fell asleep at night.
← Newer post • Older post →